Sunday, May 17, 2009

From 52 Weeks of Proven Recipes for Picky Kids by Jill McKenzie

So I bought this little recipe book at the BYU bookstore while the Women's Conference was going on. The author was there personally promoting her book, and I thought it was just a wonderful little recipe book. So I decided to get it, and she even signed it for me and recommended some of her favorites.
So far, I have loved it! The Creamy Potato Soup recipe I was talking about on an earlier blog is from it. So at Mike's request I thought I would share it.
CREAMY POTATO SOUP
3 14oz cans beef broth (I use vegetable broth instead, for food combining purposes and better digestion, but thats totally up to you. It is a little more expensive, but worth it I think.)
1 cup minced onion
1 cup chopped celery
5 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cups cream or milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1/4 cup white cooking wine (I used water here, since I didn't have this)
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley (I didnt have fresh so I used about half as much dried)
Grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, for garnish

In a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, potatoes, and carrots. Boil, covered, for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in the cream or milk. In a separate bowl, melt butter in the microwave on high. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Once roux is mixed well, add slowly to hot soup, stirring vigorously with a wire whisk until roux is gone. Bring to a slow rolling boil over medium heat. Soup will thicken to a nice creamy texture. Add cooking wine (or water), seasoned salt, and parsley. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Garnish with grated cheese.
Serves 8 to 10.
Tip: When cooking just for two, half the recipe turned out to be a good amount. We still had a good portion of leftovers for another day or that could be frozen and stored, for up to 4 months.
Cooking for Kids Tip: Also, in the book, Jill suggests serving this soup in french bread bowls. That is the way to get kids interested in it. You can buy these big rolls/ round loaves of bread that work great. You just cut off the top and hallow out the inside, or there is a recipe to make them from scratch in the book. If anyone wants that recipe I'll put it on here too...ENJOY!!!!

1 comment:

Micah and Alison said...

bytheway, if you are interested in this book...you can find it at Amazon.com I hear. Or you can just keep getting the recipes from me as I try them... :)