Monday, November 8, 2010

Holding up the Light of Christ

As I was studying some articles and scriptures about patriarchal blessings, I was reminded of how our patriarchal blessing inspires us to bring light into the world. I came across several articles that help me to better understand how we can do that.

The first is "You Have a Noble Birthright" by Sister Julie B. Beck and she says that, "your patriarchal blessing will help you know that you have a noble birthright...The Lord has important and exciting things for you to do. This is your time to “arise and shine forth, that [your] light may be a standard for the nations.” “Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”"

Then I noticed a link at the bottom of the page to the article just before it in the issue called "I Am the Light Which Ye Shall Hold Up" by Sister Susan B. Tanner. She referenced a scripture where Christ himself explains to the Nephites that the light that we should hold up is his light and the things they saw Him do. I decided this should be my scripture for today.

3 Nep 18:24 "Therefore hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up- that which ye have seen me do."

Sister Tanner goes on to elaborate on what the Nephites had seen Him do. "He had compassion upon them and lingered with them. Then He healed them, prayed with them, taught them, wept with them, blessed their little children one by one, fed them, and administered and shared the sacrament that they might covenant to always remember Him. His ministry among them was about teaching and caring for each individual, and about completing the work His Father had commanded Him to do. There was no thought for Himself."

As we each think of Christ's example and how we can hold up that light to the world, we need to consider how we can be more selfless, especially in our homes. Sister Tanner goes on to talk about how it not easy to be selfless in our homes and that it is basic human nature to seek praise and attention for our good deeds, but that our good works should not be done for that purpose.

She talks about how it can be hard to transition from youth years to young motherhood, because we often receive so much recognition, awards, honors, and trophies for our accomplishments as youth, but then there is very little commendation as we move into motherhood. She then asserts that "in no other capacity is there more opportunity to serve selflessly as Christ would do by taking care of hundreds of daily physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. You will bring the light of the gospel into your homes—not to be seen of others, but to build others—men and women of strength and light...As you share your light, others will find greater light too. Is there anyone who needs your light as much as your families?"

I am excited to be a wife and soon a mother, and to have the opportunity and responsibility to follow Christ's example each day in my home by giving and serving selflessly and building up my husband and children. I have many things to improve on. But, I know from my patriarchal blessing, the scriptures, and the words of our good leaders that these promises are real, and I want to hold up the Light of Christ!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Love that thought, especially holding up that light in our homes - it is hard to work day after day with little recognition. But I guess the true recognition we're seeking is from the Lord as we serve with no thought of reward.

WhiteEyebrows said...

I think this is a realization we all go through at one time or another - that realization that now it's our turn to do all those things for others that were done for us for so long. Suddenly we're the ones serving rather than being served.

Back to the beginning of your post, though, that understanding one's true identity as a son or daughter of God is like the hardest thing to communicate to others! We have to have patriarchal blessings, and church meetings, and scriptures, and prophets... you'd think we'd just GET it and remember it easier. Sheesh.

P.S. Let's get that baby here!