SO Micah and I are full swing back into classes and busy as ever... and though I may have been dreading some of my classes this semester because I knew that they would be a little more out of my "comfort zone," (i mean its not sewing, or drawing, or sports, etc, ya know) I have been so excited and enthusiastic over the past couple weeks about learning new things about life and I'm seeing all these great connections between my classes. Usually history and writing are not "my things", one because history usually goes in one ear and out the other, and two, i love writing but it seems to take me so long to say what I really want to say and alot of writing classes have timed essays that drive me nuts. But this time, my history of creativity and writing about arts and humanities classes have really intrigued me! They've opened my mind, and made me think, (or maybe I have been willing to think more.)
And then I get to go to a French grammar class, which is ever so challenging, because its all in French, and sometimes I don't really know what's going on...But it also gets me out of my comfort zone and trusting more in the "gift of tongues" again like I did so often as a missionary. On top of all that I have astronomy which is "new" to me, and then probably my favorite, "Intro to teaching Seminary". I figured that the seminary class would be pretty simple and not too much work, but surprisingly I have had alot to think about and learn about in teaching more like the Savior, having a powerful testimony, and really connecting with those you are teaching.
So this brings me to what I was really blogging about today.... in this religious teaching class that Micah and I have together, we were talking today about how everything we teach about should be centered around firstly, the Doctrines of Christ, especially the atonement, and secondly, around the Restoration of the gospel and priesthood through Joseph Smith. We were talking about how to effectively foster faith in others in these most fundamental truths as a teacher. To both Micah and I in class, it seemed that we barely scratched the surface and that alot of what was discussed just reiturated what we read and that we know already the importance of the atonement and restoration. Just barely towards the end of class, our teacher asked us to think about our own experiences and how we know that the principle discussed was true, and what that would look like in a teaching situation say if you had to teach seminary tomorrow. But then the class was over and we didnt really go on and hear anyone's thoughts or share our own.
When we got home we got the Ensign magazine from the mail and I thought, Oh I need to open that and see whats in there. Turns out that the first two articles are on the fruits of the First Vision and the message from the Sacred Grove. I read them and thought, this is exactly what we've been talking about, what the Restoration of the Gospel REALLY means to us today. The last section of the second article is called "The First Vision in Our Lives." You should go read these articles if you haven't yet. In one of the last paragraphs it says that "we must take care to connect the events of the Sacred Grove with real life and present circumstances" and then will these truths have "operative relevancy" for our lives, as Neal A. Maxwell would say. So as I understand it, if we take our experiences and figure out how the atonement and the restoration can or should apply to them thats where this "operative relevancy" comes in to play, when they are connected to our daily life.
So I was wondering if anyone would like to share some of their thoughts about how the Atonement or the Restoration of the Gospel have had "operative relevancy" in your daily lives... This takes some thought... But I'd love to hear what you all think and how you might share your thoughts about these fundamental truths, that a student, (or friend, or whoever it might be), might not only feel your sincerity, but the reality of these truths in real daily life.
This ended up to be a really long post, and many probably didn't make it to the end here, but if you did, I'd love to hear some of your feelings....Thanks!
4 comments:
The beauty of the gospel is in the simplicity of living it. If the teachings of Christ (focus on the beatitudes) don't inform your everyday interactions with people, then what is being a Christian really doing for you and those around you? Nothing.
I told aud my marriage philosophy (so far) is pretty simple. Don't be selfish, and don't be a jerk. I think with most marriage problems someone's either being selfish or just plain mean and hurtful.
Same with the gospel. Love your neighbor. Do it by remembering their name, and calling them by name. Do it by a quietly (sometimes anonymously) fulfilling their needs. Demonstrate your love to God by doing what he's already told us will make us happy in the first place... make him a proud father - so that when you return he will say (as in Matt 25) "well done thou good and faithful servant."
Yup. It's simple.
If we get into minutia (like how far it is to Kolob) then we are looking "past the mark" as Isaiah said.
Great post!
It's all about "heeding" the word of God. It is not about what we know, but about doing something with what we know.
We must make each gospel principle personal and relevant. If we do not we are missing great blessings.
I was just looking at BastingsBuzz (Sharon's blog) and she had a great example of how the Atonement works in our lives. Go check out her experience. She says what I was thinking - basically the Atonement means that after all we can do, the Lord will make up the difference. We still have to be striving for perfection, but we'll fall short. The Atonement and restoration of the gospel give us that hope and assurance that we can live with Heavenly Father again, even when we make mistakes everyday.
You've had too much schooling- now you are using words that are over my head :)
Seriously- great thoughts (I'll comment more on "FandTM".)
Post a Comment