Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Benefits of Exercise

So, a couple months ago, I was in the midst of a difficult first trimester of this 2nd pregnancy, and feeling pretty down and out. I was feeling exhausted and nauseous and unmotivated, and just overall kinda depressed. I was having a hard time sleeping at night and things were just feeling like they were worsening every day. I was struggling to even accomplish the simple household things like laundry, dishes, and keeping things tidy and clean. Micah was trying hard to pick up where I wasnt, but that was making me feel bad too. I would try to tell myself it was all just a "pregnancy" thing, but deep down I felt like I could be doing better. I can remember even asking Micah if he thought I may be experiencing some depression that we should address. We discussed the option of taking a medication that the doctor had suggested I take during this pregnancy for my health concerns which I had not been taking because I had not felt very comfortable with the medication. About this same time, one of the lessons in Relief Society was about exercise and the benefits of being active. I remember my friend specifically talking about the benefits of the natural endorphins that increase as you exercise. I knew I needed to get some regular exercise into my routine of life! In fact, afterwards I decided that before I would pursue the traditional medicine route for helping with my increasing depression, I would first establish a good exercise routine and see just how much those natural endorphins could make a difference for me. So the first thing I decided to do was signup for a monthly membership at the gym. And I joined several specific classes knowing that I would need a little structure to help keep me motivated. I also arranged for Dallin to be watched during those times, so it could truly be some "me" time. I also decided I should be walking more again like I used to during pregnancy with Dallin. And since Dallin loves to go out in the jogging stroller with me, twice a week we go out for walks together.
Also, on Thursday evenings each week I started going to Stake Women's Volleyball. All in all, I've had some kind of exercise on each day of the week, except Sundays. Monday-Yoga. Tuesday-Walk with Dallin. Wednesday-Water Aerobics. Thursday-Walk with Dallin & Volleyball. Friday-Cycling&Lifting. Saturday- Vacuuming,Cleaning Floors, Bathroom, Kitchen, etc. This has really worked well for me! And I have felt so much better about myself, life, and others. My feelings of depression have dissipated and I have had alot more energy and motivation to do the daily things as well as to serve and strengthen others. Playing volleyball was really a blast! Not only challenging for me, since most of the women have played volleyball, but socially it was great to get to know new women in the area. We played in a real tournament also, and it was really fun and exhilarating to compete. The Yoga has also been especially enjoyable, because it challenges my upper body strength, which I've always been a little insecure about, but also helps me relax and focus and breath deeply, which will be great skills for labor & delivery. Overall, life has just been great since I made these things a part of my lifestyle. I would recommend and encourage some good regular exercise to everyone, especially if you are feeling down and out. I feel more grateful for my body and all that I am able to accomplish. Also, I talked Micah into getting a couples pass at the gym with me shortly after I started going. So he now is going every morning before he goes to work, which I think has also been helping him alot too. I admire him for being able to get up at 5am every day to do that too, its hard to sacrifice sleep to fit exercise into your work day, but he does it! Anyways, exercise is a priority in my book now! Hope you are all getting some too... :)

4 comments:

Annie said...

Good for you! Glad to hear you're finding things that work for you. I think exercise is really important too. Way to go!

Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

Hey Alison! Awesome post; it got me motivated to start trying to exercise again. I used to be really good at it but have also lost motivation (and I'm not pregnant yet so I don't even have a good excuse!) Thanks for this; I'm going to start again next week! (Or should I wait till after Thanksgiving...ha!)

Jessica

Debora said...

I love the pic. of SMILEY Dal in the stroller! Looks like all of us T girls are on the same page. Only I'm older, more parts are wearing out and I still can't exercise for another week- but then I'm starting again, too.

Carrie said...

Awesome, I'm so proud of you!! I'm that way too, if I don't exercise, things start looking down. Way to go!!