Sunday, January 24, 2010

The burrito inspired by Wienerschnitzel...


This week, Micah and I stopped at Wienerschnitzel to try it out, cuz we had a coupon and we had never been there. As we typically do, we asked the cashier what her favorite item was. She responded with a bold, "None of it." We laughed and said well if you had to pick something what would you get. She told us, "The Chili Cheese Fries Burrito." Hmmm, thats sounds interesting. It was on the 99cents menu, so we decided to try it out, though she wasn't even that thrilled about any of it. (And everything else on the menu was just as interesting.) Much to our surprise, it was actually pretty tasty! I thought I could handle eating that for 99cents a little more often. Then, on the way home, we came up with the idea that we could make something similar at home. So thats what we did today! And it was even better!

Here's the secrets to the new&improved...
Hashbrown Vegetable Chili Burrito
:
First off, it's made from Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns, Home-made Vegetable Chili, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and Flour Tortillas.
The Chili takes the longest so you will want to start it first. I used a recipe from "Great Taste, No Pain" Recipe book. Here's the jest of it... The author calls it Vegetarian Chili, but I like Vegetable Chili, cuz I'm not a vegetarian.

Prep Time-45min/ Serves about 4
Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1-15oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2-4 cups vegetable broth, depending on how thick or soupy you like it
Salt&Pepper to taste
1-14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained if you want it more soupy, drained if you want it thick
1 cup frozen veggie burger crumbles (I didnt put this in, cuz its too expensive to buy right now)
1 tsp sugar

Directions:
In saucepot, heat the oil and saute the onions, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook for another minute, then add beans, broth, and salt&pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. (While the chili is simmering, you will want to start cooking the hashbrowns.) Add tomatoes and veggie burger crumbles and return again to a boil. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sugar, and let stand for 5 minutes.

Voila you have delicious homemade chili to go in your burritos and leftovers too!

Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns: Prep time- 20-30min
Add oil to a saute pan and heat till it easily coats the pan. Then add the hashbrowns and cook on medium-high, flipping periodically and gently stirring with a spatula. They can continue cooking while you finish the chili. They are finished when they are golden brown and beginning to get crunchy.

Now all you need to do is assemble the burritos.
Add a layer of hashbrowns down the center of the tortilla. Then sprinkle on the cheese, and top that with chili (not too much juices). If the chili is still hot enough, it should melt the cheese. Fold it up, and ENJOY!!!

It's delicious! I hope everyone tries these HashbrownVegetableChiliBurritos inspired by Wienerschnitzel's ChiliCheeseFriesBurrito. Let me know what you think... Chow time!

5 comments:

Debora said...

So what I want to know is if you are eating this potato, veggie, cheese burrito thing with "pickles and ice cream" yet? :)

Micah and Alison said...

Oh soon enough, I'm sure... ;)

Pam said...

Was that a hint of news.....????

Anyway, what I want to know is... was the manager there and does that cashier still have a job???? lol

Micah and Alison said...

No, the manager was definitely not there...and they were some of the worst employees we've seen! I don't think they cared though.

Mike said...

chili cheese fries burrito!!! I think I'll go barf now...glad it was good though